How to extend your temporary status in Canada

Here are some options for visitors, international students, and temporary foreign workers to extend their stay in Canada.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) offers a number of options that allow temporary residents to stay in Canada, even when waiting on a decision for permanent residence, or temporary residence. For example, maintained status means temporary residents who apply for a new temporary status do not necessarily have to leave Canada if their documents expire before IRCC makes a decision. Through maintained status, students, visitors, and temporary foreign workers can stay in Canada on the same conditions as their previous permit until they hear back about their new application. Temporary residents applying for permanent residency who are facing the end of their documents’ validity may be able to benefit from a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). While some temporary residency permits are eligible for extension, certain programs like the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) are not renewable nor extendable, but that does not necessarily mean these workers cannot be eligible for a different work permit. Although it is an option for many, it is not usually desirable for workers and students in Canada to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), because it does not allow you to work or study. Those on a TRV may also be eligible to apply for a Visitor Record and be allowed to stay longer than six months, although again, this does not enable them to work or study. There may also be options to stay for people who are eligible to be exempt from work permits, in specific cases. In this article we cover options to stay for people who may benefit from the following: